How I got started

Lots of people want to learn to write, and that's fine. Writing a variety of things is learnable. But in my opinion, you are either a writer or you’re not. To me, writing comes from deep inside you. It's part of who you are. Writing should come to you naturally. If it is something you struggle to do and fight to work at, then maybe writing isn't what you are meant to do.
I have been writing since I was twelve. It came to me naturally. I started with children's stories, then in college, I went through some bad emotional stuff, and I poured my heart out onto the paper in the form of poetry. Occasionally over the years, I have dabbled in writing novels, but none were very good, and I never finished any of them.
Then several years ago I joined a group called the Brantford Writers' Circle. In this group was a woman who wrote a novel, finished it and self-published it. And I thought "wow" if she can do that then why can't I? I have good ideas too. I can write. I just needed an idea. Then one day my idea came to me while watching a TV show called William Shatner's Weird or What. On this show, William Shatner told a story about a doll name Robert that caused terrible things to happen to people who disrespected it. (For the whole story of Robert the doll see link below.) From this tv story based on an actual doll gave me the idea for my first novel called The Doll. Only the doll in my book is cursed not haunted.
I wrote The Doll for Nanowrimo, which takes place every November. How Nanowrimo works is you start writing your book on the 1st of November, and you have to have 50,000 words by midnight of November 30th. Then you upload your novel to the Nanowrimo website, and it counts your words. If you have 50,000 words, you get a printable certificate and other perks for writers.
I have done 2 Nanowrimo's and I have succeeded both times. The second book which I wrote for Nanowrimo is called The Soul Jars. This book is still in the editing process and it will eventually be sent out to potential publishers.
The Doll is for sale on Amazon written under the name R.M. Burthom. (To purchase the eBook please see link below.) The Doll is also available in paperback self-published and sold by myself. See my website for my email if you wish to purchase the paperback.

Link for my novel, The Doll on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Doll-Lillian-Darkwood-Mystery-ebook/dp/B018JP6S5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529872657&sr=8-1&keywords=the+doll+rosie+burthom

Link for the story about the real Robert doll
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-story-behind-the-worlds-most-haunted-doll

Weird or What? William Shatner & Chad Lewis Discusses Robert the Doll
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=william+shatner+wried+or+what+Robert+the+doll&view=detail&mid=8E77DCDBADE314498FEB8E77DCDBADE314498FEB&FORM=VIRE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canundrum of Helping Others

Review: Girl in the Mall